The Kingdom Of The Bald Monkey

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

In Other Music News

MusicIn other music news about the projects I've been working on other than the "Council Of Circles" thing. I've been slowly working on my next album of song-based material. It's more a singer/songwriter kind of offering and has a more minimalist approach than my last few albums on which I tried (and failed) to play all the parts of a whole band. This time around, the songs are all played on acoustic bass concentrating on playing more with chords than with single notes. There is also a keyboard kind of symphonic backdrop. I'm going to put some rhythmic textures on the songs as well. (Yes, real ones.) Other than the vocals, that will be it. Like I said, ‘more minimalist.' That's my new favorite oxymoron for this project.

What is the theme of this project? Well, after my last two albums, "The Hidden Happiness In The Yellow Toy Box Volumes I and II" (2004) where the theme was kind of trying to find happiness or how to stop denying yourself happiness, I knew I was in for a bit of a downer this time around. (The Bush years have been hell.) So, the theme this time is a variety of things. Like accepting mortality and isolation. There's some anger at organized religion and a lot of focusing on the inner soul. The mood is somewhat dark and mellow. The tempo is often slow. The chord changes can be very emotional and quite a few of the songs run in 7 to 9 minute category.

Oh Joy! A huge hit smash with loads of commercial potential hit singles! (LOL!) I don't make music to try to sell it. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.) So, I don't have to worry about going in musically accessible directions. I just make music because I have no choice. There are things that are inside me and that must come out. Making music is a great way of exorcizing feelings and emotions. At any rate, the recording process is, like I said before, slowly on it's way. The bass parts are done. The keyboard parts are finished and I'm ready to move on to the rhythm tracks. I'm not saying when I'll complete it all, but I may share some of the lyrics with you before then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home